Town Planning Expert

How Can We Help?

Use Class E

You are here:
< All Topics
What is allowed

Use Class E was brought in on the 1st September 2020 and covers the following uses:

  • Shops (not already covered by Class F2),
  • Financial and professional services,
  • Restaurants and cafés,
  • Offices,
  • Research and development of products or processes,
  • Industrial processes compatible with a residential area,
  • Clinics,
  • Health centres,
  • Crèches,
  • Day nurseries,
  • Day centres,
  • Gymnasiums or area for indoor sports and recreations (excluding swimming pools and skating rinks)
Where can I use it

On the 1st September 2020 all premises that fell within the above list or that had previously fallen within Use Classes A1, A3, A3, B1(a)(b)(c) and selected uses within D1 and D2 became Class E uses.

With the exception of prior approval matters that are subject to transitional arrangements the change occurred immediately.

What is not allowed

A Material Change of Use, that is not subject to a Permitted Development Allowance already in place, to any other use class requires planning permission and may be subject to local policy restrictions.

Permitted Development to Class E

Subject to restrictions From:

  • C3 (as a mixed use)
  • Casino
  • Betting Shop
  • Pay Day Loan Shop
  • Hot Food Takeaway
  • Laundrette
  • Agricultural Building (creates a sui-generis Class E use)
  • Mixed use with drinking establishments
  • Class C1
  • Class C2
Permitted Development from Class E

Subject to restrictions to:

  • Mixed use with up-to 2 flats,
  • Class C3
  • Class F1 as a state funded school
How do I use the allowance

No planning permission is required to move from a use within Class E to another use within Class E albeit you may wish to seek a certificate of lawfulness.

Our Notes

We have done a couple of comprehensive reviews on the role of Class E which can be found here:

Table of Contents