Town Planning Expert

How Can We Help?

Use Class C1

You are here:
< All Topics
What is allowed

Use Class C1 Includes:

  • Hotels,
  • boarding and guest houses where no significant element of care is provided (excludes hostels)
Where can I use it

Class C1 uses are town centre uses and as such can be fitted within a Town Centre Environment. some council’s also have policies encouraging Class C1 uses in certain areas, London in particular has specific policies governing the location of new hotel accomodation.

Class C1 uses provide for the ‘apart-hotel’ use type which is a close match to most modern serviced accommodation type uses.

What is not allowed

A Material Change of Use, that is not subject to a Permitted Development Allowance already in place, to any other use class requires planning permission and may be subject to local policy restrictions.

Permitted Development to Class C1

Subject to restrictions you can get to Class C1 from an Agricultural Use albeit this creates a Sui-Generis Class C1

Permitted Development from Class C1

With prior approval Class C1 uses can change to either a state funded school within Class F1 or a day nursery within Class E.

How do I use the allowance

No planning permission is required to move from a use within Class C1 to another use within Class C1 albeit you may wish to seek a certificate of lawfulness.

Our Notes


Table of Contents