Town Planning Expert

How Can We Help?

Use Class B8

You are here:
< All Topics
What is allowed

Use Class B8 states: Storage or distribution – This class includes open air storage.

Where can I use it

Class B8 uses are suitable in areas of industrial and commercial activity and are normally appropriate in areas designated for primary and secondary employment.

What is not allowed

A Material Change of Use, that is not subject to a Permitted Development Allowance already in place, to any other use class requires planning permission and may be subject to local policy restrictions.

Permitted Development to Class B8

Subject to restrictions you can get to a Class B8 use from;

  • Class E as Offices
  • Class B2
  • Agricultural Use (forms a Sui-Generis Class B8)
Permitted Development from Class B8

Subject to restrictions you can change a Class B8 use to offices within Class E.

How do I use the allowance

No planning permission is required to move from a use within Class B8 to another use within Class B8 albeit you may wish to seek a certificate of lawfulness.

Our Notes


Table of Contents