Town Planning Expert

How Can We Help?

Use Class F2

You are here:
< All Topics
What is allowed

Class F2 uses were introduced on the 1st September 2020 and are a part amalgamation of uses that previously sat within Classes A1, D1 and D2. The F2 uses are defined as uses that are important for the operation of local communities;

  • a shop mostly selling essential goods, including food, to visiting members of the public in circumstances where— (i) the shop’s premises cover an area not more than 280 metres square, and (ii) there is no other such facility within 1000 metre radius of the shop’s location,
  • a hall or meeting place for the principal use of the local community,
  • an area or place for outdoor sport or recreation, not involving motorised vehicles or firearms,
  • an indoor or outdoor swimming pool or
  • skating rink.
Where can I use it

Class F2 gives a defined list of important community uses. it is clear that some shops will have fallen into the F2 use on the 1st of September and those shops have a limited window to change use into residential by the 31st of July of 2021.

What is not allowed

A Material Change of Use, that is not subject to a Permitted Development Allowance already in place, to any other use class requires planning permission and may be subject to local policy restrictions.

Whilst together with Class F2 you may not change use between F1 and F2 without planning permission.

Permitted Development to Class F1


Permitted Development from Class F1


How do I use the allowance

No planning permission is required to move from a use within Class F2 to another Class within F2. You may wish to secure a certificate of lawfulness for that change of use.

Our Notes


Table of Contents