How Can We Help?
Class H – microwave antenna (satellite dishes) on a dwellinghouse
What is allowed
The installation, alteration or replacement of a microwave antenna on a dwellinghouse or within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse.
Where can I use it
On existing houses in England
What is not allowed
You cannot use it where:
- permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P, PA or Q
- it would result in the presence on the dwellinghouse or within its curtilage of—
more than 2 antennas;
- a single antenna exceeding 1 metre in length;
- 2 antennas which do not meet the relevant size criteria;
- an antenna installed on a chimney, where the length of the antenna would exceed 0.6 metres;
- an antenna installed on a chimney, where the antenna would protrude above the chimney; or
- an antenna with a cubic capacity in excess of 35 litres;
- in the case of an antenna to be installed on a roof without a chimney, the highest part of the antenna would be higher than the highest part of the roof;
- in the case of an antenna to be installed on a roof with a chimney, the highest part of the antenna would be higher than the highest part of the chimney, or 0.6 metres measured from the highest part of the ridge tiles of the roof, whichever is the lower; or
- in the case of article 2(3) land, it would consist of the installation of an antenna—
- on a chimney, wall or roof slope which faces onto, and is visible from, a highway;
- in the Broads, on a chimney, wall or roof slope which faces onto, and is visible from, a waterway; or
- on a building which exceeds 15 metres in height.; or
- the dwellinghouse is built under Part 20 of this Schedule (construction of new dwellinghouses).
How do I use the allowance
This is a normal allowance – no application is needed but a Certificate of Lawfulness may be sought if you want to use it.
Class H is a very open permitted development allowance that even apply’s to Listed buildings and houses in Conservation Areas. If your dwelling is within a Conservation Area please check with your LPA to see if there is an Article 4 direction.