Town Planning Expert

How Can We Help?

Class G – chimneys, flues etc on a dwellinghouse

You are here:
< All Topics
What is allowed

The installation, alteration or replacement of a chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe on a dwellinghouse.

Where can I use it

On existing houses in England

What is not allowed

You cannot use it where:

  • permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P, PA or Q
  • the height of the chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe would exceed the highest part of the roof by 1 metre or more; or
  • in the case of a dwellinghouse on article 2(3) land, the chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe would be installed on a wall or roof slope which—
  • fronts a highway, and
  • forms either the principal elevation or a side elevation of the dwellinghouse.; or
  • the dwellinghouse is built under Part 20 of this Schedule (construction of new dwellinghouses).
How do I use the allowance

This is a normal allowance – no application is needed but a Certificate of Lawfulness may be sought if you want to use it.

Our Notes

Class G is a very open permitted development allowance that even apply’s to Listed buildings and houses in Conservation Areas. If your dwelling is within a Conservation Area please check with your LPA to see if there is an Article 4 direction.

Table of Contents