Town Planning Expert

How Can We Help?

Class B – temporary use of land

You are here:
< All Topics
What is allowed

The use of any land for any purpose for not more than 28 days in total in any calendar year, of which not more than 14 days in total may be for the purposes of—
the holding of a market;
motor car and motorcycle racing including trials of speed, and practising for these activities,
and the provision on the land of any moveable structure for the purposes of the permitted use.

Where can I use it

On any land within England subject to the restrictions below.

What is not allowed

Development is not permitted by Class A if—

  • it would consist of development of a kind described in Class E of this Part (temporary use of land for film-making);the land in question is a building or is within the curtilage of a building;
  • the use of the land is for a caravan site;
  • the land is, or is within, a site of special scientific interest and the use of the land is for—
  • motor car and motorcycle racing including trials of speed or other motor sports, and practising for these activities;
  • clay pigeon shooting; or
  • any war game, or
  • the use of the land is for the display of an advertisement.
How do I use the allowance

This is a normal permitted development allowance with requires no application. That being said you should seek a certificate of lawfulness as temporary uses are always contentious.

Our Notes


Table of Contents