Town Planning Expert

How Can We Help?

Class D – porches

You are here:
< All Topics
What is allowed

The erection or construction of a porch outside any external door of a dwellinghouse.

Where can I use it

On existing houses in England

What is not allowed

You cannot use it where:

  • permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue of Class M, N, P, PA or Q
  • the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed 3 square metres;
  • any part of the structure would be more than 3 metres above ground level; or
  • any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway.; or
  • the dwellinghouse is built under Part 20 of this Schedule (construction of new dwellinghouses).
How do I use the allowance

This is a normal allowance – no application is needed but a Certificate of Lawfulness may be sought if you want to use it.

Our Notes

Class D is a very open permitted development allowance that even apply’s to houses in Conservation Areas. If your dwelling is within a Conservation Area please check with your LPA to see if there is an Article 4 direction.

Table of Contents