Class JA – takeaway, betting office, pay day loan shop, and launderette uses to offices
What is allowed
Development consisting of a change of use of a building from—
Hot food takeaways, betting office, pay day loan shop or launderette, to a use falling within Class E offices.
Where can I use it
On any building in England subject to the limitations below.
What is not allowed
Development is not permitted by Class JA if—
the building was not used for one of the uses referred to in Class JA: (i) on 29th October 2018, or
(ii) in the case of a building which was in use before that date but was not in use on that date, when it was last in use;
the development (together with any previous development under Class JA) would result in more than 500 square metres of floor space in the building having changed use under Class JA; or
the building is—
on article 2(3) land;
in a site of special scientific interest; (iii) in a safety hazard area;
in a military explosives storage area;
a listed building, or within the curtilage of a listed building; or (vi) a scheduled monument or contains a scheduled monument.
How do I use the allowance
This is a prior approval allowance subject to the assessment of the following criteria:
- transport and highways impacts of the development;
- whether it is undesirable for the building to change use to a use falling within Class E offices.
- on adequate provision of services of the sort that may be provided by a building falling within hot food takeaway or launderette
- where the building is located in a key shopping area, on the sustainability of that shopping area; and
- impacts of noise from commercial and retail premises on the intended occupiers of the development; and
- a building which has changed use under Class JA is to be used as an office within the meaning of Class E offices and for no other purpose, except to the extent that the other purpose is ancillary to the primary use as such an office.
Another allowance that is partially caught up in the use classes changes and made partially redundant. The alterations to the Use Classes Order are reflected above and those parts now deemed to not be development have been removed.